Home | FAQs

Green Insurance Questions & Answers

Green Motor Insurance FAQs

Your policy

Will a non-fault accident affect my insurance?

A non-fault accident may impact your insurance. Even if the accident wasn’t your fault, it’ll be recorded on your claims history.

Do I need to declare a non-fault car accident when I get a quote?

Yes, you must declare all car accidents. That includes non-fault accidents, even if you aren’t going to claim. Failing to report an accident could void your insurance policy.

Do I need to tell you if I have a non-fault accident when I am already insured with The Green Insurer?

We need to know about all claims in case anyone else involved (another driver, someone whose property was damaged etc.) tries to make a claim against your policy.

What happens when the policy ends?

Once your policy has ended, or if you cancel a policy, you have 30 days to redeem any leaves you have earned and exchange them using our app or by logging into our website. Any unclaimed leaves will expire 30 days after the cancellation date.

It can take up to 24 hours from the policy ending before the app stops recording trips.

Can I drive other cars under my policy?

This can vary from car insurance policy to policy, so please check very carefully before relying on this cover - it will be shown on your car insurance certificate. The “driving other cars” cover that applies to some policies is designed if you need to drive someone else's car in an emergency. It doesn’t cover any damage or loss to the vehicle you are driving.

Driving other cars cover only applies to the policyholder and not any named drivers.

What is a claims free driving discount?

Claims free driving only applies when no claims discount isn't available.

Some insurers may give you a discount if you have been driving for a number of years without a claim, but it’s not been under your own insurance policy. For instance, you may have been a named driver on someone else’s car insurance policy, or been driving a company car. You will need to supply proof of this to get the discount.

What is no claims discount?

This is a discount insurers give you for the number of years you have been driving as a policyholder without making a claim against your own policy. It is important to remember that if you make any non-glass claim against your own policy, even if the accident was not your fault, this will still be counted as a claim.

Claims where someone else is at fault and their insurance covers all of the claim do not affect your No Claims Discount.

What is an excess?

If you have a claim under your car insurance policy this is the amount you will have to pay towards the overall cost. The amount may be different depending on the claim - for instance the amount you have to pay for damage to your car may be different from what you pay towards a claim where there is only glass damage. Your insurer will set the excess level, which is the lowest amount you can agree to, but you can choose to apply an additional voluntary excess to reduce your premium.

What are green parts?

Undamaged parts that have been safely removed from another car to be recycled and fitted to another car when being repaired are referred to as green parts. At The Green Insurer we are keen to use green parts wherever possible, and by taking out a car insurance policy with us you are agreeing to them being used where available. We like Green Parts because they avoid the carbon costs of making a new part and reduce wastage generated by disposing of undamaged parts.

The Green Insurer app

How to set up the app

Once you install the app, the need to accept the following permissions:

  • blue tickLocation
    The Green Insurer app needs location access set to "always allow", this is so it can automatically record your trips.
  • blue tickMotion/Activity
    Motion data is needed to accurately detect that you are moving in a vehicle.
  • blue tickNotifications
    The Green Insurer app will send you notifications when trips are not recording.
  • blue tickBluetooth
    For Android users only.

Then take your phone with you on your next trip, the app will automatically transfer the driving data.

If you only want to transfer the data when your device is connected to Wi-Fi, go to the settings and select the Wi-Fi only option.

What if you were the passenger? What if you were the passenger?

There are two ways to change your status from driver to passenger.

Option 1

  • 1. Open the app
  • 2. Select Trips
  • 3. Swipe the Trip you wish to edit to the left, to select "I wasn't driving a car insured with The Green Insurer"

Option 2

  • 1. Open the app
  • 2. Select Trips
  • 3. Tap on the Trip you would like to edit
  • 4. Select the dropdown at the top of the screen and select "I wasn't driving a car insured with The Green Insurer"
Device requirements

The Green Insurer app will need to be installed and you’ll need to take your phone with you on your trip. You’ll also need at least 10% battery for the trips to be recorded.

The data will be transferred from your phone via Wi-fi or using your mobile data, this can be changed to Wi-fi only in the app settings.

The Green Insurer app works with most iOS and Android devices. Unfortunately if your smartphone is any of the following, you will not be able to take advantage of our carbon offset and rewards program:

  • Samsung Galaxy Note II
  • Samsung Galaxy A10e
  • HTC One M8
  • Huawei Ascend P7
  • Blu Life One XL
  • Asus Zenfone 2
What if I am insured on more than one policy with The Green Insurer Screenshot of The Green Insurer app showing how to assign a trip to a specific vehicle.

If you have more than one policy with The Green Insurer you'll be prompted to select which car you have driven when you swipe right, as shown in option 1.

Alternativly, if you click onto the Trip, you can select which vehicle you had driven from the dropdown, as shown in option 2.

What to do if your trips aren’t showing up

If you have taken a trip in your car and it is missing from the app, it is most likely due to the trip not being uploaded to our system or to your phone not recording the trip.

Trip not uploaded - If you do not have any mobile network reception on your phone the trip may not have uploaded. Once you reach a place where you have mobile phone reception or are connected to Wi-Fi, the trip should upload automatically.

There is also a setting for you to choose to upload trips using Wi-Fi only to save mobile data usage. This can be found on the settings page of the app (the cog in the top left corner). You can then choose “Off” or “On” for Upload trip data using Wi-Fi only.

Trip not recorded on your phone - there are several reasons why your phone may not have recorded the trip:

  • Power off.
  • Low power.
  • Power save mode enabled.
  • Location is disabled.
  • Bluetooth not turned on (Android only).
  • Phone error.

For more information on how to troubleshoot these reasons please read our missing trips blog.

If this doesn't resolve the issue please contact our customer service team on 01727 222 777.

How do I upload documents?

You can can upload documents via the app and your customer portal. From a desktop, you can drag and drop your document into the portal or click on the upload button to upload a file from your computer.

If you're using your mobile phone you can either upload a saved document from your albums or take a photo of the document if you've got a camera phone.

What file types can I upload?

You can upload .jpeg .png .pdf in the upload documents section, the files can't be bigger than 3MB.

If you are taking a photo of a document using the app and the file is too big, exit the app, take a photo and go back to the app and upload from your album, this should give you the option to reduce the file size.

I've submitted my documents, why am I still seeing a request to upload documents?

Users may see a red notification message on their app or customer portal asking them to upload documents. Once a document has been submitted, it will go to our Customer Service support team who will review and approve, this can take up to 48 hours, once reviewed the red notification message will be removed


Do I need to report minor car accidents to the police?

No, unless:

  • Anyone is injured.
  • The accident has blocked the road.
  • The other vehicle failed to stop.
  • You suspect the other driver is under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
  • The other driver won't give their insurance details or you think they may be uninsured.
  • You suspect that the other driver caused the collision deliberately.
What happens if the car accident wasn’t my fault?

Our dedicated claims team (which is managed by Lemonaid Motor Legal) will contact the at-fault driver’s insurer to reclaim costs for any repairs to your car, or injury to you. If you have our motor legal expenses cover, this can be used to pay for the legal costs to recover other expenses you have incurred because of an accident which wasn’t your fault. This can include things like loss of earnings.

If the at-fault party can’t be identified and there’s no one to make the claim against, the claim will need to be covered under your policy and treated as a fault claim. This could be that the at-fault driver drives off, or if an animal jumps in front of your car.

How do I know who is at fault for a car accident?

You’ll be updated during the claims process who is at fault, based on all the evidence that has been collected.

What if the other driver didn’t stop?

If possible make a note of the vehicles registration, make and model.

Check for any other witnesses, if they have a dashcam that could have seen the incident, make notes of what has happened and your location, the incident could be on CCTV.

Report the accident to the police.

How long do I have to report a car accident to The Green Insurer?

Within 24 hours of the accident happening where possible.

What to do if you accidentally damage a parked car?

Driving away is a criminal offence, you should leave your contact details with the driver or If you hit a stationary unattended vehicle, you should leave your details on their windscreen. You can report the incident to the police on 101.

What should I do if someone has damaged my parked car and driven off?

Make a note of when the car was parked and when the damage was found, take photos of the damage. Check for any CCTV cameras in the area. Report the incident to our claims team.

What if I hit an animal?

You’re legally required to tell the police if you hit a horse, cattle, donkey, mule, sheep, pig, goat or dog. If the animal is obstructing a road or highway, you must report it to the police.

If the animal is a pet, you could, with caution, check for collar tags with the owner’s details and contact information on them.

If you can’t locate the owner, you could take the animal to a vet for treatment and to be scanned for a microchip.